...a beachers tidal thoughts...

Monday, February 26, 2007

the mosquitos' got me

so i've been in Ghana for almost 2 months now and had managed to maintain my health until today. the night mosquitos of west africa got me = i have malaria. I set out for the coast early friday monring with a bad fever and acky muscles, i knew things weren't good, but i wasn't going to let a weak body prevent me from going to Cape coast so i took some meds and actually felt fine the entire weekend. When i got back monday i decided to check it out with the doctors, just to make sure it wasn't malaria... only to find out that it was! He said that a strong immune system and well taken antimalarials i might not have known till i got home. and considering the doctors here are pros at treating it i'm actually happy i found out now rather than in a weeks time back at home! I feel totally fine and now i can say i've had the full african experience i guess!

This weekend, although started out with a high temperature was fantastic! We went to Cape Coast and stayed at the Oasis Beach Resort right on the water. It was full of other volunteers and med students so we had a wiked time. Friday we arrived and took our time checking into the hotel. Then we visited the Cape Coast Castle which was both very interesting and depressing. The Castle was used for the slave trade up until the mid 1800, a place where many Ghanaians and Africans left their home forever. The museum was really well done and very informative. But it did feel strange to be in such an impressive building with such a dark past.

Saturday we went to Kankum national park and did the Canopy walk (desinged by canadians) which was 40 meters bove the forest floor! it was incredible, and even though heights aren't my favorite thing it was so amazing! the tree's and plant life were beautiful (ashley you would have loved it). That afternoon we relaxed by the water and had cocktails with fellow volunteers at night... all in all a great weekend.

So its my last week in Kumasi, then I head to Accra on Friday, and fly home on Sunday evening. My recent decline in health is making me happy to return home, and the thought of running water and consistent electricity is starting to sound really good! i think the thing i miss most though is a washing machine... washing all your clothes by hand is a lot of work!

So i'll be back in canada for a week (march 5 - 11th) then I head to London to play marry popins for a Canadian family in London for 3 months! cheers :)

2 Comments:

  • Now we're blood sisters! I'm glad you realized you had it and treated it quickly. Here's to a speedy recovery and a wonderful last week. I've loved hearing about your experiences here, but I really can't wait to talk to you when you're home in BC for a week. I miss you miss you miss you, but I know you're having a grand adventure!
    Love, Dal.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:58 AM  

  • i can;t believe its been 2 months, thats crazy!

    By Blogger b, at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home