...a beachers tidal thoughts...

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ghanaian weddings... not for the "faint" of heart

well this past week was full of 1st's for me! its seems as though i get busier and busier as time passes; meeting new people, going new places, and getting new assignemnts constantly! But its great, and i like the fast pace...

this past saturday i accompanied my host mother to a "womans group" as she called it do to an HIV AIDS presentation. I was looking forward to it, as it was held at the local university and many of the women were in the in health field. When we got there... i realized this was a womens religious group, and the entire 5 hours was exactly like church. I was a little dissapointed, and also just needed a break from the religion activities here: its been a bit of an overload as both my host mother and father as pastors. So by saturday afternoon the idea of going to church all sunday was just too much - so i called my regional coordinator in search of an escape! haha. and that he provided! Mike (RC) had arranged for a few other volunteers to attend a Ghanaian wedding! I jumped at the idea, because i've never been to a wedding... let alone a Ghanaian wedding.

So off i went, i meet a few other volunteers which was really nice - people to talk about your experiences with! The ceremony was going well... the bride hadn't arrived yet but the festivities were in full swing. we were singing and dancing.. when i started to feel, not quite right. so closed my eyes hoping it would pass... only to wake up on the floor in the arms of a fellow volunteer and 10 worried ghanaian faces pearing down at me! haha, i had fainted... because of the heat (it was 36 degrees... outside). i was pretty embarassed.. haha, and a bit shocked because i've never fainted before. But i got some fresh air and water... and managed to get back on my feet by the time the bride arrived. but the rest of the day the families were talking about the "obruni who suddenly fell!"


i'm really loving every day here. there is always a new challenge or experience... and i'm finally able to find my way around the city. There are no street signs and the place is always packed full of people... but i'm starting to become accostomed to the chaotic streets, and might actually miss it when i come home!

I've also made plans to head down to Cape Coast and Mole National park when Kate arrives! I can't wait to do some travelling around Ghana! Until next time! cheers :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home